Review of concept design for a proposed Neighborhood Conservation Street Improvement project for 4th Street S, from S Illinois St. to S Kensington St. A new sidewalk with a utility strip is proposed along the north side of the street, as well as new curb and gutter on both the north and south sides of the street. More information.
Arlington County Park Rangers are calling on volunteers to help clean Four Mile Run at Glencarlyn Park on Saturday, March 10th, from 10:00 am to Noon. The Glencarlyn Citizens’ Association will host a hot dog and marshmallow roast after the cleanup.
Get outdoors and help Arlington restore its natural spaces. Great project for individuals, families, service clubs and school groups.
- The clean-up area is from under the Arlington Blvd./Rte 50 bridge to where Long Branch enters Four Mile Run.
- Trash bags and plastic gloves will be available for volunteers at the 3rd Street picnic pavilion starting at 10am.
- Volunteers should wear long sleeve shirts and pants and should bring work gloves if they have them.
- After the clean-up, the hot dog and marshmallow roast will be held at the 3rd Street picnic pavilion.
- Invite lots of friends to help in the cleanup and enjoy the roast.
Pippy and Matt Sickbert and Brandon Hemel are coordinating the event. Please email them at email@example.com to let them know if you are thinking about attending, so they can plan for the food. If you didn’t get a chance to contact them, show up anyway because there will be extra food.
We invite everyone to walk the neighborhood, admire the Luminaria and come to the Library parking lot (Kensington St., between 3rd and 4th Sts.), beginning at 6 pm until 8 pm, for the celebration. We will have holiday music, cookies, warm beverages (cocoa, spiced cider) and marshmallows for roasting.
Santa will arrive around 6:30 pm with a little something for the youngsters.
Even if you won’t be placing luminaria in front of your home, please join us for friendship and refreshments. This is a wonderful family activity and a great opportunity to greet your neighbors.
Luminaria packs can be purchased at Carlin Hall, 5711 4th Street S., between 9 am and 3 pm on December 10th. Each 10 candle Luminaria pack, which includes tea candles, white paper bags and sand, costs $5.00 and will light the frontage of an average 50/60 foot lot.
We need lots of volunteers to help on Saturday December 9th both during the day, selling the Luminaria kits, as well as in the evening for set-up, running and clean-up at the Holiday Party.
Please sign up to help with one or both events.
Luminaria: 4 people are needed for each of the four 2 hour shifts between 8:30 am and 3:30 pm. At least two people will be working inside and one bagging sand outside. You can rotate the assignments. (The last shift will also place luminaria in front of the Library and Carlin Hall.)
Holiday Party: 3 or 4 people are needed for each of the four 1 hour shifts between 5:15 and 8:30 pm for set-up, operation and clean up. Cookies Needed for Holiday Party. Please note, we need 10 dozen cookies for the Holiday Party. Bring cookies to the Party or drop them off at Carlin Hall during the day.
- If you can volunteer, or have any questions, please contact Julie Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 808-384-4954.
- Volunteer Online
This year we are trying something new. The goal is to create a festive atmosphere and spirit of friendly competition, and most importantly, encourage families to get out and walk the neighborhood together while appreciating the houses. So whether you decorate your house or admire those that do, show off your holiday spirit by participating in this fun event.
No need to enter your house. Families will walk the neighborhood and list their favorite house for each category. The houses selected in each of the categories will have their photo in the February Village View and receive a free pancake breakfast at Glencarlyn Day in June.
The first gathering of families to walk the neighborhood is set for 5:00pm, Dec 9th, an hour before the Luminaria Holiday party. Another gathering will be Sat. Dec.16th at 6:30pm. Meet at the library for both. We will walk the neighborhood together from there.
Nominate the homes of your choice using the ballot in the Village View. Additional ballots will be available at Luminaria sales.
Drop off your ballot at the Luminaria Holiday Party on Dec 9th, or any time at Julie Lee’s house, 5527 3rd St S. You may also email your choices to Kelly Krug at: email@example.com. Last day to submit your ballot is Dec 17th.
The chosen houses will be announced on Dec 18th.
Anything Goes (No Specific Theme, But WOW)
Inside-Out (Indoor Displays That Are Visible From The Street)
Martha Stewart Would Be Proud (Best DIY Display)
Charlie Browniest (Decorations on a Dog House,Tool Shed….Anything But Your House)
Clark Griswold (Best Light Display)
Glencarlyn’s annual Halloween Party for the neighborhood’s younger ghosts and goblins will be held Saturday, October 28 from 2:30-4:30pm at Carlin Hall 5711 4th St. S.
- Dress your young ones in their Halloween costume and bring them to the party.
- We will have snacks and lots of activities.
- Children 6th grade and under are invited, and must be accompanied by an adult.
- Feel free to bring a snack, craft, or game to share. We need parent volunteers to help with the party.
- If you can help, please contact Heather Parsons at:firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 202-309-8511
Plan to attend our Fall Family Picnic/Potluck on Saturday September 16th at Carlin Hall from 4:30-7:30 pm.
- Everyone is invited and should bring a main dish, or meat to grill, as well as a side dish to share.
- GCA will provide water, lemonade, plates, cups, eating utensils and napkins.
- We plan to have a number of fun activities for the family.
GCA will provide a fire pit and the ingredients for making s’mores.
If you have any outdoor games, are able to help with set-up or clean-up, or have any questions, please contact Julie Lee at email@example.com. Hope to see you there!
Autumnfest at Glencarlyn Library Community Garden
What: Plants for Sale, Crafts, Food and More
When: Sunday, September 17, 10 am – 3 pm
Where: Glencarlyn Library Garden, 300 S. Kensington St, Arlington. 22204 Continue reading