When: Tuesday, October 1, 6:30 – 8:30 PM
Where: Long Branch Nature Center, 625 S Carlin Springs Rd, Arlington
- See plans for the sediment forebay, pond footprint, and construction access,
- Learn more about the water quality benefit and habitat features,
- Provide input on the draft design.
There will also be a special presentation of pond wildlife featuring photography by David Howell.
- Meeting event details: https://projects.arlingtonva.us/events/sparrow-pond-public-meeting-2/
- Project website: https://projects.arlingtonva.us/projects/sparrow-pond-restoration/
Sparrow Pond was originally constructed in 2001-02. Over time, the pond has filled in with sediment. The restoration was identified as part of the 2012-13 Watershed Retrofit Study, and funding was allocated for design through the Capital Improvement Program in 2018.
The project goal is to restore the pond to the original depth by removing sediment, add a sediment collection forebay to allow easier maintenance and sediment removal, maximize water quality benefits, and restore habitat.
Stormwater Outreach Specialist
Arlington County Environmental Services
Office of Sustainability and Environmental Management
2100 Clarendon Blvd. Suite 705, Arlington, VA 22201